China Promises to fund Port Harcourt-Maiduguri, Abuja-Kano rails

The Chinese government has expressed its commitment to refinance and complete the Abuja-Kano and Port-Harcourt-Maiduguri railway projects, according to a statement by the VP's Senior Special Assistant on Media and Communications, Stanley Nkwocha. 

The Chinese President, Xi Jinping, made this pledge during a bilateral meeting with President Bola Tinubu, who was represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima. 

China had previously agreed to provide 85% financing for the projects, while Nigeria was responsible for the remaining 15%. However, funds had not been released due to cutbacks and commitments. 

President Xi also promised increased investment in Nigeria's power generation and digital economy, and called for the protection of Chinese nationals working in the country. He assured that China would continue to support Nigeria's exports, especially peanuts, and crackdown on terrorists. 

Vice President Shettima, on behalf of Tinubu, emphasized the importance of the rail projects and reaffirmed the commitment to a strong Nigeria-China relationship based on mutual international cooperation.

Post a Comment